Chances are that you are not going to win the battle against hunger. It is evident that there will be a few times throughout the day when you feel the need for a “snack.” For me, I am always craving a snack a few hours after breakfast, lunch, and late at night. This is fine, but the key to healthy weight control is to find the snacks that boost your metabolism.
It is essential to find snacks that not only boost your metabolism, but help you burn calories and give you sustained energy, as well. The best metabolism boosting snacks will keep you full for long periods of time and give you great sustained energy, as well as provide you with fat burning and lean muscle-building vitamins and minerals.
The following are my 10 favorite metabolism-boosting snacks. Make sure to consume these daily and do not fall victim to weight loss killers such as chips, candy, soda, sandwiches, ice cream and all those evil desserts!
Best metabolism-boosting snacks:
- Green Tea. If there is one beverage you should always consume with your healthy snacks, make sure it is fresh green tea! Green tea has an abundance of antioxidants and fat burning EGCG. EGCG actually works hard to speed up your metabolism and takes your calorie burning into overdrive.
- Grapefruit. Grapefruit is one of the most amazing metabolism-boosting snacks you can eat. I love grapefruit and try to eat them daily. So why are grapefruits so effective at burning fat and boosting your metabolism? Grapefruit’s main metabolism boost comes in the form of lowering your insulin levels so you are less likely to store fat. Grapefruits are also extremely high in Vitamin C, as well as fiber. They truly are a well-rounded metabolism-boosting snack!
- Coffee. While coffee may have its fair share of naysayers, there is no doubt that it has a high amount of body jolting caffeine! The large amount of caffeine in coffee helps to boost your metabolism and give your body a boost of short term energy.
- Curry. I bet you didn’t expect to see this on the list, now did you? Curry can actually be a great metabolism booster. Curry helps your body burn extra calories and also will increase your metabolism naturally.
- Almonds. A great overall snack because they are high in fiber and healthy fats. The combination of these two things will help to keep you full for long periods of time. They may also have a positive effect on insulin levels. Most people admit that a handful of almonds will keep them more full than an entire bag of potato chips. This will help you to eat less overall, as well as boost your metabolism by increasing your intake of healthy fats and fiber.
- Canned Tuna. Extremely high in protein and very low in fat, carbohydrates, and calories. It is the perfect “get lean” food, and the high amount of protein in canned tuna will help to build muscle, which will aid in a healthy metabolism boost. It makes for a perfect late afternoon snack before your intense gym session! Tuna has been one of my favorite metabolism-boosting foods for quite some time.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast. Another amazing lean muscle builder and fat burner. A typical boneless and skinless chicken breast will have under 200 calories and over 40 grams of protein, making it the perfect lean muscle builder you need after an intense workout. The high amount of lean protein will help to stimulate your metabolism and build lean muscle while burning fat. It is the perfect protein source for lunch or dinner.
- Spicy Wasabi Peas. You can find these in most snack aisles by the mixed nuts. These are actually a delicious and nutritious snack for those of you that enjoy spicy foods! These protein and fiber-packed peas really rev up your metabolism and will help to ward off hunger attacks for a long period of time due to their high fiber content.
- Spinach. One of my favorite vegetables and it has some amazing benefits for your body. As you probably know, Popeye was not obese! This is probably due to the fact that spinach has an incredibly high amount of vitamins, antioxidants, and metabolism-boosting powers. Spinach is truly a “superfood” and it supercharges your metabolism!
- Oatmeal. Has a very high amount of fiber and slow digesting carbohydrates – the perfect combination to keep you full and satisfied for long periods of time. It is also fairly low in calories. I will have a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning and sprinkle cinnamon on it. One large bowl of plain oatmeal with cinnamon has under 200 calories and keeps me full for up to three hours! The main benefit of oatmeal is that it also helps to lower insulin levels, meaning that your body will be less likely to store fat.