If you’re anything like me (or most Americans), you need a cup of coffee to help wake you up. But, I don’t just drink coffee for the caffeine that helps get me moving in the morning, but I also drink it for the taste. Yep, I’m one of those that loves the taste of coffee. Coffee in drink form, coffee flavored ice cream, chocolate covered espresso beans – love it all! So when the thought came to me to add it to one of my favorite pre-workout snacks, I knew I’d love it!
Chocolate Protein Espresso Bites! These looked so good that even my son couldn’t contain his excitement.
Although, unfortunately for him, he didn’t get to sample… but I did, and they were delicious!
As we’ve talked about before, protein bites such as these, are a great pre-workout snack because they are loaded with the protein and carbohydrates to give you a natural energy boost. These bites in particular, are even more energy boosting since they have the added caffeine, which will help intensify your workout. Not only will it give you a little more energy, but there are also a few more reasons why enjoying coffee before exercise is good for you:
- According to research, coffee can actually help you burn fat. The caffeine triggers your muscles to use fat as an energy source rather than sugars from carbohydrates.
- Caffeine is said to increase your endurance levels, allowing you to workout for a longer period of time.
- It’s considered by some to be an Ergogenic Aid that enhances performance in athletes. “The American Journal of Cardiology, concluded that caffeine may also boost levels of nitric oxide in the bloodstream, resulting in increased blood flow to muscles. This can lead to longer, more thorough workouts that can cause increased weight loss.” (Source)
I don’t know about you, but there are definitely times when I need an extra energy boost before a workout. Personally, I like to get it in a more natural form rather than through sugar-overloaded energy drinks. So, these Chocolate Espresso Bites are the perfect way to get in a little caffeine plus some protein and carbohydrates! Oh, and did I mention they’re gluten-free? So for those of you who have an allergy to gluten or are just living a gluten-free lifestyle, these are especially for you!
Chocolate Espresso Protein Bites
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Fitmixer Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Almonds
- 2 tbsp. Hot Water
- 1 tsp. Instant Coffee (I used Starbucks Via)
- 1/3 cup Almond Butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp. Mini Dark Chocolate Chips
Mix hot water and instant coffee and set aside. In a food processor, pulse almonds until chopped or chop by hand. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients until the mixture is wet enough to form into balls. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: Calories – 59, Carbs – 4, Fat – 4, Protein – 2, Sugar – 3