Weight loss doesn’t have to be a boring and mundane struggle. Many people forget that there are tons of activities and sports to play that can help you burn a ton of calories, and that just because an activity is fun, it does not mean that it can’t help you lose weight! As a fitness model, I have to keep a lean physique throughout the year. Most people would assume that this is an extremely difficult task, but the fact of the matter is that I have fun doing it! The reason staying lean and ripped all year is so easy for me is because I have always found many sports to be fun to play.
Other than high intensity interval training and weight lifting, the only exercise I get on a regular basis is sports. Playing sports throughout the year is my favorite form of cardio; sports are such a fun way to stay in shape and they make me forget about the fact that I am working out and burning calories. Mostly, I love basketball and tennis, and I try to play both every week. Basketball has always been a passion of mine and I always burn a ton of calories when playing in a pick-up basketball game. In basketball, you are using your entire body: upper, lower, and core. All of the running and jumping makes basketball similar to a high intensity interval training workout as well! I am also a huge fan of tennis. During my typical tennis sessions and matches, I will burn over 500 calories! Tennis requires many short bursts of energy and also incorporates your entire body into the movements. Playing sports that require full-body, complex movements is the best way to lose weight fast! So what are some of the best sports for weight loss? Let’s take a look!
- Basketball. As previously mentioned, basketball is a great workout because it requires short bursts of energy through running and jumping and it incorporates your entire body. Basketball is a high intensity interval workout that is both fun and exciting!
- Tennis. Tennis is a sport that requires an extremely high amount of endurance and will turn your body into a calorie-burning machine. Tennis players are typically lean and fit for a reason – they get an incredibly high amount of cardio in per match.
- Swimming. Swimming is a great cardio workout and is one of the healthiest sports for you to perform. Swimming requires a ton of energy expenditure (meaning that it burns a lot of calories). In fact, it was rumored that Michael Phelps had to eat over 5,000 calories per day when training for the Olympics!
- Volleyball. Beach volleyball, anyone? Volleyball is a great sport to help you burn calories. Similar to a plyometric or high intensity interval workout, volleyball requires constant jumping and explosive movements. This will help you burn a good amount of calories and have fun while doing it! (Not to mention, you can play this at the beach)!
- Soccer. Soccer is the ultimate workout as it is a non-stop cardio session! Soccer players have some of the leanest physiques out of every professional sport. The reason is that during a match they are running almost non-stop! Soccer challenges your cardio levels probably more than any other sport and is a great way to get in shape!