With our country battling obesity and all of the weight loss products surrounding us, it is important for us to realize that sometimes the easiest solution to weight loss is to go back to the basics.
The science behind losing weight is pretty simple. You must burn more calories than you consume. The problem is that with most people’s diet and lifestyle, they intake way too many empty calories that are low in fiber and extremely low in nutrients, lean protein, vitamins, and minerals; it is entirely possible to eat over 3,000 calories a day and have your body starving for the proper nutrients at the end of the day. If the calories you consume are not high in fiber and high in vitamins and minerals, you will starve, and as a result, overeat. If you consume the right kind of calories that will help your body ward off that stubborn fat and keep you full, it is very easy to lose weight.
You should make sure to eat some form of nutrient dense and high fiber food with every meal. It is so easy to eat an entire bag of potato chips or an entire pizza, but these are what we call “empty calories.” They provide your body with hardly any proper nourishment – they are high in calories but low in nutrients.
The following foods are meant to replace those empty calories you are used to consuming, help you lose weight, and even get that lean and sexy physique you’ve been dreaming of!
Top high fiber foods to help you lose weight:
- Black Beans. Black beans are awesome for those trying to lose weight and pack on lean muscle. Black beans are very high in fiber, protein, and iron. They make for a delicious snack and are considered a low-glycemic carbohydrate, meaning that they won’t spike your blood sugar and be stored as fat. Rather, they will be used by your body as a long-term energy source and will keep you full for long periods of time.
- Almonds. One of my favorite snacks when I’m trying to lose weight is a large glass of green tea and two servings of almonds. The combination of the almonds and green tea keeps me full for over 3 hours and is packed with the healthy fats, protein, iron, and essential minerals my body needs for efficient metabolism and protein synthesis. While almonds are high in fat, it is the healthy fats that your body needs, and with the consumption of the high fiber, almonds will ward off any afternoon hunger attack.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is a perfect start to any day if you are looking to lose weight. Oatmeal is a slow digesting carbohydrate and is relatively low in calories. A big bowl of oatmeal sprinkled with fresh cinnamon is the perfect way to go. A bowl of oatmeal has only about 160 calories and almost 10 grams of fiber. The cinnamon helps to increase your metabolism. Oatmeal will help to keep you full until lunch time and is also high in protein and fiber to power your workouts and help you increase lean muscle.
- Apples. Apples are high in fiber and, of course, very high in vitamins and minerals. The fructose from the apple will help to keep your sweet tooth satisfied while you are craving sugar on your weight loss mission. Apples are very high in fiber, healthy carbohydrates, and the proper blend of vitamins and minerals to get you lean and fit!
- Edamame. Edamame, or soybeans, is one of the best things you can eat for weight loss. They are absolutely loaded with fiber and protein, consisting almost entirely of lean protein and healthy fiber. This makes it ideal for those looking to build muscle and lose weight. Sprinkle some sodium-free Mrs. Dash seasoning on your edamame to make a delicious and flavorful weight loss snack that will keep you fuller for longer!